Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Patterning in Guided Math Groups

I have seen the success first hand of the Guided Math Groups that I have implemented this year.  And, the children are having a great time working in small groups. Instruction is focused on each groups level of need within each concept.  This week, we began working with patterns.  On average, the children were able to create and extend simple AB patterns.  Groups this week were meant to challenge that thought--adding other elements to the simplicity of AB. 

One group worked with Fruit Loops to create and represent each patterns they displayed. Mrs. Alice, one of our wonderful parent volunteers, led this group one day.



Another group worked with our vegetable manipulatives to create and extend more complex patterns.


Caitlyn, Vincent, and Zachary created some great vegetable patterns.


A favorite group this past week was the beaded bracelet patterns.  I worked with the children to create a few different patterns of beads that they slid onto a pipe cleaner.  We tied it up into a bracelet when they were finished.



Mrs. Misenheimer worked with a small group to use dot markers to create patterns.  This was a less "guided" group because the children got to independently choose their  patterns.  Mrs. Misenheimer was there to encourage them in different directions if they seemed to choose the same one over and over again.




Like all math concepts, patterns are something we'll continue to practice and notice in the world around us.

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas! Thanks for sharing. You gave me some inspiration for next week. I know my kids would LOVE the braceltes and the dot markers. Can you tell me where you got the dot marker pattern paper? I'd love to be able to get one. :)

    Michelle
    michellejones@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also wondering where you got the dot marker pattern paper? I would love to be able to use your ideas in my room!!!

    Ashley
    ashley.baker@usd453.org

    ReplyDelete