Thursday, July 21, 2011

# 10 Write a letter to the editor

So I am finally able to cross off another item on my Summer Bucket List! 

#10 Write a letter to the editor my favorite columnist

Ok, ok, so I changed it a little bit.  However, since I am the sole proprietor of this list I reserve the right to alter any entry I wish at any point in time. 

Here is my email that I sent to Craig Wilson after the July 20th edition of his column "The Final Word".

Dear Mr. Wilson, 
Good morning!  I am an avid reader of your column- first turned onto it from a 3 day workshop spent talking and thinking about writing with Katie Wood Ray.  I so enjoy when Wednesday finally rolls around again and I get to delight in your stories!  It is my husband that makes use of the rest of the paper. 
Today, I happened to score a free copy (making this Wednesday EVEN better!) because I am in New Jersey serving on a multi state educator panel for ETS. 
The first thing that popped into my head after picturing your "altercation" with the man in the fancy foreign car was a poster I recently "pinned" to my boards on Pinterest that reads: I'm not bossy.  I just know what you should be doing. 
I am a teacher, a kindergarten teacher, and, when you spend the majority of your time, well, bossing around children all day it can sometimes make for a slightly troubled transition back into society.  Everyone should listen to me, obviously.  I've spent all day requiring 24 five year olds to.  It is hard to fight the urge to not tell others what to do when I am outside the four walls of my classroom. 
So, here's what I'm wondering, Mr. Wilson, what is your excuse? 
Now, don't get me wrong.  I have seen it all before.  The whole scene.  I know people do wrong and get upset when they know it and are being called out on it.  But, I can't help but wonder if some of that anger is based on the fact that YOU, or whoever is doing the calling out, is not the enforcer of the law! 
Because of your previous experience, I can empathize with the fact that you are a bit more sensitive when it comes to crossing the street.  But, I'm just saying I bet the rage filled driver wouldn't have had that reaction had you been in a nice blue uniform with a shiny badge. 
Maybe you were just doing your job as a citizen of D.C., or maybe you were just looking out for this man's safety, or maybe, just maybe, you were channeling your inner teacher and being a little bossy. 
Looking forward to next Wednesday, 
Lauren Alexander Lochel
Kindergarten Teacher
Sugar Creek Elementary School
2010-2011 Fort Mill School District Teacher of the Year


I was very excited that he not only wrote me back, but also found the humor in my email!  Here is how he responded:

I'll go with my "inner teacher!" Thanks for the laugh, Lauren...All too true...

Summer Bucket List

1.Trip to the beach
2. Read a book, or two, or three
3. Start a new tradition at home
4. Give a heartfelt surprise to someone (purchased said surprise, in search of the receiver)
5. Give a good report to a manager about an employee
6. Extreme Makeover: Kindergarten Closet Edition
7. Begin writing a children's book
8. Clean out all 4 3 closets (one down, three to go!)
9. Try Yoga again (my friend Kristy invited me to go...I have been a slacker, but am still hoping to go soon!)
10. Write a letter to the editor
11. Write a letter to a friend
12. Go on a picnic
13. Start a blog
14. Learn about Guided Math Groups (professional book in hand!)
15. Go to a concert
16. Finally beat my husband at a game of Clue: The Office edition
17. Complete Family Trust Grant (changed from Foundation to Family trust b/c I missed the deadline)
18. Complete and mail in STAR Teacher Application

No comments:

Post a Comment