Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Patriotic Lunch and Learn

If you've been a follower for a while, you may remember that I am teaching at a program for 4 weeks this summer called Lunch and Learn. Since this week began with Independence Day, our Lunch and Learn program is only two days. I racked my brain and did some searching to find some educational, fun, and creative ideas to share with the children centered around- you guessed it- the USA!

Now, what could be more fun than bags of red, white, and blue marshmallow stars?  The possibilities were endless!  Found these at Walmart and couldn't resist. 




My second graders used them to multiply. 
My first graders used them to add and subtract.



My kindergartners used them to sort, count, and make and extend patterns. And, yes, I even let them eat a few too!

Our day continued and I read aloud a few patriotic tales.  I have many song books like America The Beautiful and Oh Say Can You See.  The children respond well to these and it boosts their confidence because they can "read" along too!


We charted and then graphed our favorite USA symbol.  Which one would be your favorite?

And if you know me, you know that I couldn't let these kiddos leave without painting some handprints!  We did American flag handprints!  

 In hindsight, I should have done these on a color paper other than white.

These two days flew by!  I guess the old adage is true! 

I won't be back teaching at Lunch and Learn for two weeks...but I've got lots to do to keep me busy! 

2 comments:

  1. Cute ideas with the red, white, and blue theme!! Just found your blog and became a follower.
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these when I saw them too. I actually just posted about the Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes I made with the marshmallows on top and included a link back here for homeschool ideas with the leftover marshmallows.

    http://fromchapelhilltochickenville.blogspot.com/2012/06/patriotic-cupcakes.html

    ReplyDelete